At Clayton, we understand that there is a lot to cover during the home buying journey. We want to help you understand every point along the journey to homeownership from just dreaming of a new home, to move-in day and beyond.
There are a few things to remember to ensure that your home buying process is as smooth as possible, so we’ve created this Home Buyers Checklist so you can keep up with all the important parts of your journey.
Finding and Selecting Your Dream Home
Instead of just dreaming of your new home to make memories in, take these steps to begin your initial search for a new home and then make your dreams a reality:
- Browse floor plans available in your area on ClaytonHomes.com
- Contact Us to request more information
- Schedule a home center visit
- Visit a home center and meet a friendly home consultant
- Learn what you may be able to afford by completing our budgeting worksheet
- Tell us what you want
- -Also, discuss your style preferences and what customization options could fit within your budget with your friendly home consultant
- -Discuss how many bedrooms/bathrooms you want and features you are looking for. Check out our 20 Questions worksheet to help you get started.
- View model homes
-Find the perfect home model for your family during your home center visit.
Choose a Lender and Finalize Your Home Purchase
The next stage in your Journey Home is to obtain financing for your home purchase and finalize your home purchase. You will complete the following tasks:
- Look at land and choose your dream home site property. Once you choose a property for your home site, you will also need to have a contractor perform a property assessment. If you don’t own land, our experienced home consultants can help you work with a local realtor to find the perfect property for your new home.
- Next, select a lender and complete the loan application process. You will need to submit loan applications to lenders of your choice as well as financial information that the lender may require.
- While you wait for financing approval, review customization and features options that may be available for your home. While reviewing your options, select your final floor plan and home feature options such as energy efficient upgrades.
- After you choose your final floor plan, your home center will send your specifications to the home building facility to obtain a build quote.
- While the sales process is being completed, the lender you select will be working on underwriting the loan you have applied for. Every lender’s process varies, but generally each lender will obtain an appraisal, a title search, a flood determination and survey for your new home as required.
- While you wait for your lender to give you final approval on your home loan, apply for permits, such as septic and building permits. The permits you need can vary by location, but your home consultant can help figure out what permits you need.
- Once you receive the build quote from the home builder and financing approval, the home consultant will discuss the final home purchase price with you. Once a sales price is agreed upon, you will sign your purchase and sales agreement and at this time a deposit on your new home purchase is typically required.
- Finally, if all credit conditions are satisfied and your lender provides final loan approval, the lender will arrange for completion of the loan closing process, and your new home financing process will be complete.
Have it made®
- Submit a home order
- -Your home consultant will submit your home order to the building facility
- -During this time, review your home warranty with your home consultant to make sure you understand what’s covered and what isn’t
Bring it Home
- After your home is built in our advanced home building facilities, the on-site installation construction process of your home will occur.
- -Your new home will be transported from the home builder to the home site.
- -Installation construction crews will complete the on-site construction of your new manufactured home at the home site.
- Make it Yours: During this time, complete the final walk through of your home with either your home consultant or another representative from your home center.
- -During the final walk through, your project manager will complete the Home Setup Inspection form, which is a checklist that lists what will be inspected by you and the project manager prior to move in .
- -Receive your home buyers packet information and appliance information.
- The Good Life: Live in Your Dream Home
- -Finally, you receive the keys to your Clayton Built® home!