Buying a new home is an exciting time. Something about all those big dreams becoming real life, you have to stop every so often and pinch yourself as it all comes together!
With all the excitement, it’s easy to get ahead of yourself. We’re all guilty of getting wrapped up in home features like porches, farmhouse sinks, mud rooms and open floor plans, which can cause us to forget about the less fun part of homebuying – financing.
That’s why it’s important to figure out how to prepare your finances for home buying. One key to doing that is to make sure communication with your lender is clear and open, so that they have everything they need, and you’re set to purchase your dream home!
To avoid common missteps on your journey to homeownership, follow these pre-purchase tips to make sure your home buying process goes smoothly:
- Research the different types of home loans and decide which one is best for you
- Apply or inquire with multiple lenders to compare rates
- Ask your lender for a checklist of items they will need from you
- Make sure you provide the lender with the correct W-2
- Provide your W-2 from the most recent year
- Some may provide W2s for prior years, but lenders typically require the most recent
- Provide your most recent proof of employment – such as your latest paystub
- Have your bank statements readily available
- Have an idea of your price range before you begin the process
- Be realistic about your finances
- Check your credit score beforehand
- This will keep you aware of your current credit standing, so there are no surprises along the way
- Ask your lender to explain any additional questions you may have
- Pay your bills on time
- Save up for a down payment